Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote America and Table Grace

I had planned on writing this post about voting because I actually love politics and have voted in every election since I could (which happened to be 1992 - yikes!).  And I still do want to mention it because I think it is such a valuable part of being an American.  But I also have to mention the amazing gift that was Table Grace last night as well.

Little bit and I voted together weekend before last when the boys were gone.  Early voting has been nuts here in Texas, lines every single day, but luckily we only had to wait about 20 minutes to vote.  I talked to her about what voting is and how everyone has different opinions but that is what makes our country great and everyone should vote.  Little bit took baby and proudly displayed our voting slip on the way out: 
I love what Beth Moore wrote on her blog yesterday - I love that it wasn't about a candidate but rather but what we, as God's people, could pray for the candidates.  I encourage you to read some of the scriptures and prayers that were left.  There's a hymn that I can still hear my Grandaddy and Mimi singing at the piano, harmonizing their voices.  Those words are looping through my head today:
 
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand
.
 
No matter who you support, I hope you take this as encouragement - our hope is only in one man.  By way of transition from Vote America to Table Grace, check this out:

This is one of the AMAZING tables at Crosspoint Church's Table Grace last night.  I desperately wanted to go because Jen Hatmaker was serving as the keynote speaker, but they were SOLD OUT!  A darling friend of mine that I met in North Carolina at SheSpeaks! (of all places) had an extra ticket last minute, and called yesterday morning to invite me.  As fate would have it, I had dinner already in the crock pot before I left for work and Bray said he could manage so I went.  Before Jen spoke, we had dinner and the folks all decorated tables.  Talk about a million ideas for you Pinterest-ers.  The above table's theme featured "Vote America," but the over 50 tables featured themes from tea time to adoption.  Y'all, these ladies brought everything from the linens to the tableware, glassware, place cards, and favors!  Here's some of the really cool ideas.
 
A"camping" theme with a backpack centerpiece and the cute "favors" were the ingredients for s'mores in a jar, adorable!
 
A "French" picnic theme but the place cards were written into the napkin rings with a sprig and the favors were take home TREES!
 
 
There was a lot of Christmas, which I loved!  Here's two - the first one had flocked trees as the centerpiece with Christmas china and the favors were mini Christmas snow globes in tea cups!  The second theme was "presents" and had gorgeous presents as centerpieces with a Christmas frame in an open "present" as favors/place cards. 
 
 
 
 
Here's a few more for your viewing pleasure, I wish I could post ALL 58!


(From top to bottom:  Beach theme with shells on the plates and burlap covered chairs, Jesus "Saves" themes with coupons as chargers and place cards and a grocery basket full as a centerpiece, Princess theme with castle centerpieces and place cards on napkins, ice cream cone theme with precious felt ice cream scoops as favors and ice cream tubs/cones/toppings in jars as a centerpiece, Thanksgiving theme with these pretty wicker chairs with the "place cards" as names strung on the back of the chair, and Christmas china theme all with reds and golds which I love!)
 
As much as this all made my little Martha Stewart heart swoon, nothing prepared me for the absolutely mind blowing message Jen Hatmaker brought.  She has an incredible ability to be funny and relatable and yet totally grounded in the Bible and the message Jesus has to offer.  As many times as I have heard a sermon on the Samaritan woman, I had never heard it taught like this.  One of the many things that really stuck with me was her discussion of the woman's reaction after Jesus acknowledged that she had been married five times and was yet living with a sixth man.  Jen said, Jesus did not overlook her sin, but neither did He overreact.  As a result, instead of her hiding in shame, do you know what she did?  She ran and told the village, which clearly had ostracized her for her wanton-ness, that this MUST BE THE SAVIOUR.  And because of that, Jesus stayed for two days, despite all social conventions which demanded He stay away from Samaria, and many came to know Him.  He used a woman, with a immoral background, as a mighty tool and also lavished on her grace to know redemption and acceptance.  Such a powerful story.  If you ever have a chance to hear her teach, you must go.  


1 comment: