Sunday, April 24, 2011

Earthly Easter Exhaustion v. Heavenly Hallelujahs

I realize that as Christians, any blog post on Easter should be joyous and at the height of spirituality.  You feel like you're slacking as a Christian if every line isn't Hallelujah.  Now don't get me wrong, this is an amazing day for believers.  I went to two church services this morning and was able to greet fellow celebrants with "He is Risen," "He is Risen Indeed!"  I love that.  But Easter is also quite the popular holiday here on Earth unrelated to Christianity.  And for anyone with young children and family nearby, holidays can zap it RIGHT out of you.  Your "Hallelu" turns into "Whew!"

I knew in advance it would be a rocky day because in addition to hosting 18 people for Easter lunch we had sick kids.  So even though it was fabulous to get a date night out with my husband last night, the late night combined with middle-of-the-night fevered children left me exhausted for my 6 am wake up call.  The plan was for me to attend one church service solo at 8 am at my regular church and then attend another church service at the Vincent family church at 9:30 am with the whole family (mine plus in laws).  Because of the sick kids, we skipped the nursery and attempted three 18 month-olds at the high holy day, standing room only, service.  Needless to say, I was thrilled I'd already been to one service because I didn't see much of the second. 

Then fast forward to post church mayhem - absence of a long enough nap, lack of interest in meals, generally feeling crummy and teething, and a house teeming with adults and children (ages 5 months to 70).  The nuttiness that is my normal life is nothing compared with a busting-at-the-seams house complete with hyper kiddos and tossed away schedules.  My trio was in tears most of the entire day and simultaneously acting like Velcro to my (and ONLY my) leg.  I KNEW that they were overwhelmed and not feeling well, but it was still all I could do not to scream at them to give me FIVE minutes of peace.  I literally walked away at dinner for five minutes and left my husband to manage all three of them screaming.  Exhausted.  Drained.  Frustrated.  Out of control.  At the end of my rope. 

So I sat down to write tonight & couldn't muster up the normal effusive praise and harmonious melodies about Easter.  I love that we have a day to celebrate the most amazing gift that God or man could give - He took on our sins to give us the way to an eternal life in Heaven with God and our loved ones that have gone before us, but I have to admit that I wasn't feeling all that holy today. 

But....that's when God reminded me this is the place that He loves me in the most.  My desperation is His delight.  My overwhelmed-ness is His opportunity.  He takes my inability and turns it into His immeasurable indescribable miracle.  A Gind who is in control and feeling together and on top of the world and without need of help is not someone who needs a risen Saviour.  I could do it alone.  But I am not together or full of confidence or even aware of what to do next, so being reminded today that I serve a God who overcame DEATH - let me just repeat for emphasis, my God overcame DEATH - He can intervene in a life that is grappling with a handful of sick kids and a little measly exhaustion.  What is THAT to HIM? 

So let me come full circle - Hallelujah, Christ is Risen, He is Risen Indeed.

Luke 24 - Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.” When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God.
John 20 - Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Luke 1- Nothing, you see, is impossible with God.
Matthew 19 - Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

No comments:

Post a Comment