Friday, February 3, 2012

Christian Music in the '80s

I recently wrote a miniseries post about music, and it led me to explore some of my favorite types of music and music that moved me throughout the course of my life. 

During the course of my researching and remembering, I ran across a video.  For anyone acquainted with contemporary Christian music of the '80s, along with Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant, you'll remember that Sandi Patty was a rock star.  I remember my parents coming back from hearing her in D.C., it was when we lived in Kansas and my father pastored and owned a Christian radio station, and just raving about how they were moved and floored and all such similar reactions from that live concert.  At the time I was a 12 year old DJ at the station in the mid-afternoon playing contemporary Christian "rock" for the after-school crowd.  Because we spent so much time at the radio station in 1985-86, I'd get to listen to every single album that came in to the station.  And I still, vividly, remember this duet from that time.  Remarkably, it gives me goose bumps today just like it did listening to it in a station booth decades ago. 

I share it with you today and, if you can just ignore the '80s "look," I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  Here's Sandi Patty and Larnelle Harris singing More than Wonderful:

No comments:

Post a Comment