Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wherever You Are

I am exhausted.  And there's not a break in sight.  Between late nights with the kids as a result of the big kid beds and everyone being sick, the 4:30 a.m. wake up calls for boot camp, extra work hours for Bray during rodeo, and increased business at work and on charitable boards, I'm just drained.  I know Bray is too.  Since I am so tired I have had absolutely nothing to write.  Yet I truly try to write something at least three times a week.  So in trying to figure out what funny quips from the kids I could quote or what spiritual insight I might have had recently, I went back and looked through my old posts.  I save a post every once in awhile in draft form without publishing it because I'm not sure what I want to do with it or how I want to use a thought.  I came across this one.  All that was in the draft was the title above and the lyrics to a song I had heard on the radio over a month ago that really ministered to my spirit that day. 

I will probably write every single month about a song or some way music has taught me or inspired me or re-energized me.  There is nothing like a song for a weary body or spirit (or both).  The other wonderful thing is that whatever the song meant to me on that day, it means something else entirely, but similarly helpful, on this new day.  I love that about reading Scripture too.  One day it will reach me in the middle of a crisis and say one thing, and the next day it will reach me in a season of joy and teach me how to be even better at gratitude. 

The song that lead to this post is by a group called Tenth Avenue North.  I'd never heard of them until this Christmas when I was searching You Tube for a kid friendly version of Deck the Halls because my kids were obsessed with the la, la, las.  Well, Tenth Avenue North recorded a very fun and peppy version and my kids watch it even now and dance around the room with the guys.  Turns out they're a Christian band and they have a song airing on KSBJ called Strong Enough to Save.  I heard it driving into work and got this visual of God literally cracking open the skies to help us if we ask.  Rereading it today, a new line resonated, "I know the current of yourself can take you out, out to sea, but hold on." 

Wow.  I'll tell you, the current of ME has been taking me out to sea.  Wiping me out with waves taller than I can manage.  Fortunately, I serve a God that can even save me from myself.  What a relief.  Especially today.  Here's some of those words - maybe they'll restore you wherever you are:

He'll break open the skies to save
Those who cry out his name
The one the winds and waves obey
He's strong enough to save you

Look, now is not too late
Lift up your head, let the rain fall on your face
You're not far from grace, you're not too far from grace
I know the weight of this world can take you down like gravity
And I know the current of yourself can take you out, out to sea but hold on, hold on

He'll break open the skies to save
Those who cry out his name
The one the winds and waves obey
He's strong enough to save you

No comments:

Post a Comment