Friday, February 11, 2011

Fearful or Scared?

You may look at those two words and say there's no difference between them.  But this week I've realized there is.  I may have to make a big decision in a couple of weeks.  One that is big for me personally and for my family.  Probably the biggest decision I've had to make in years. 

When I was confronted yesterday with the reality this decision could be imminent I immediately jumped to a place of fear.  I was full of fear in analyzing the decision...."fearful."  If I said yes, I was fearful of what might go wrong and of change and of the implications if I'd misunderstood God and taken my life off of His course for it.  If I said no, I was fearful of the current situation, people involved, their role in my success or failure, and missed opportunity.  I was weighing the pros and cons of my decision out of fear.  That is not from God - let me repeat this carefully in case you find yourself in this situation, fear is NOT from our Faithful Father.  FEAR is from the enemy. 
(I John 4 - God is love....There is no fear in love. 
John 14 - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.)


As I talked through the decision with my husband last night I said out loud, for myself and to make sure that the devil was on notice, "I will NOT make this decision out of fear!"  Do not let fear of what might happen if you go, or fear of what could happen if you stay, push you to make a decision that is not led by the Lord but out of our own human frailty. 

That does not mean you aren't allowed to be a little "scared."  Doing something new IS scary.  You're allowed to feel a little dizzy or nauseous over the unknown.  Don't avoid the unknown because you are FEARFUL, but if you make a decision that takes you into a new and unexpected adventure, then God gets that your nerves may be a little raw at the outset.  Even though you're jumping out of a plane with God as your parachute, those first hundred feet are jaw dropping and stomach plummeting.  That's humanity.  God created us so He gets us. 

Whatever my decision is, I'm going to let God have the final word.  I'll do some praying, some searching His word, some seeking Godly counsel, some long talks with my husband, and I'll bind the fear up and let God's voice fill the space where the fear invaded.  He is SO big, so no matter what size your fear is, He can fill the space it leaves.  Let Him.


Psalm 56 - When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise— in God I trust and am not afraid.

Isaiah 43 - Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life.  Do not be afraid, for I am with you.

Daniel 10 - He said, “Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you.” And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling. Then he continued, “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them...." “Do not be afraid, you who are highly esteemed,” he said. “Peace! Be strong now; be strong.” When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength.”

Psalm 118 and Hebrews 13 - When hard pressed, I cried to the LORD; he brought me into a spacious place.  The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.
 

2 comments:

  1. Love this distinction. I pray that everything is okay, and that you have total clarity concerning this decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the post you mentioned and I have been looking for it! No fear! Only concern. Go God - He is big, bigger and biggest!

    Love this post.

    ReplyDelete