Thursday, February 24, 2011

Headaches

I have a headache.  In fact, I've had a headache all week.  Frozen by indecision over a situation I have no control, I've just become frozen altogether.  I'm not being a great mom.  I'm not being a great wife.  I'm not being a great friend.  And I'm certainly not being a great employee this week. 

So I sit here.  Frozen.  With a headache. 

I thaw a little in my sleep, but then the situation slams me in the face once I start my commute, and in to frozen mode I go again.  Have you experienced this?  You let ONE thing throw you off your whole game?  It's just one aspect of your life but it invades every part of it like giant cow parsley.  (Seriously - I looked up invasive species, and this is an invasive species in North America according to the all knowing Wikipedia - the heracleum mantegazzianum commonly known as giant cow parsley or giant hogweed.)  How cool is it that I'm able to work in giant cow parsley to a blog about headaches and indecision - I love the internet. 

Anyhoo.......here I sit.  Confessing to the computer screen in hopes it will knock me out of my frozen tundra and into action!  What can I do today that will help? 
1.  Stop obsessively thinking about the thing over which I have no control (yes, I know, easier said than done). 
2.  Work.  If you actually throw yourself into your work, then it might just be the thing you start thinking about.
3.  Love.  I read a great devotional this morning about being a wife and so I sent it to my husband to ask him how I could better serve him. 
4.   Play.  We're going to the farm with the kids this weekend.  If I just run around like a _________(insert alternative word for banshee here, I still haven't come up with a good alternative), then being active and laughing hysterically at my truly funny kiddos is way better than Tylenol for my headaches. 

I love my life.  God has blessed me in ways that I can't wrap my head around.  What good am I to Him or to anyone else in my life if I just sit here frozen? 

Ecclesiastes 8 - So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun.
Nehemiah 8 and Habakkuk 3 - The joy of the Lord is my strength!
Isaiah 55 - You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment