Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mommies Camp Out

Well, that title should really say mommies AND daddies camp out.  Let me give you the punch line and then work backwards - "They Got In!"  That's right, at 16 months old, I've been a little nerve ball about getting my babies into an amazing school next fall for two mornings a week (their starter program).  I'd interviewed and researched schools in the area - traditional, Montessori, you name it, trying to find the program I thought would fit them best.  And I just couldn't find one.  Everyone told me at this age it doesn't matter, that the program is just for socialization, but I couldn't get on board.  I think that's a lost opportunity.  If I have bright children (which as you know from previous posts, my children are geniuses  ), why not capitalize on this time for them to learn new and interesting things.  Well I fell in love at Memorial Drive UMC's open house.  It seemed like the perfect fusion of a program - structure so they would get used to having that in a school environment coupled with the opportunity to capitalize on their own intellectual strengths.  The teachers were great, the program certified and the environment just happened to be the church where Bray and I were married.

Apparently this perfect fusion of a program is not unnoticed in our area of town.  They even used the term "the Harvard" of Memorial preschools!  So apparently, unless you are already in school there or the sibling of a student, parents CAMP OUT to get their kids in to the program.  When I called yesterday, sibling registration was so overwhelming this year that they only had TWO spots left in our age group.  I was disappointed until the registrar told me to be FIRST in line and I still might be able to get all three admitted.  So Bray and I had a conversation about whether midnight or 2 am was more appropriate (they hand out numbers at 7 am based on first come first serve and register at 9 am).  Bray magnanimously offered to do the midnight to 4:30 am shift and my mom offered to spend the night so I could relieve him before 5.  Armed with our School Camp Out Plan, we drove up to the school/church about 8:30 pm so I could show him where he needed to be and where to tape the sign in sheet when much to my incredulity and DISMAY there were two people in their camp out chairs plopped in front of the door.  Seriously?  At 8:30 pm????

So I rushed home, got ready & dashed back up to the church (the plan was now Gindi 9 pm to 12, Bray 12 am to 4:30 and then Gindi back on while Bray got the kids up and fed - work be darned).  Luckily, the two people were a couple and were camped out for the infant program which meant........drum roll please.....I was first in line for MDO 2 (my kids program)!!! TaDa!  FIVE MINUTES later, a woman came and got in line behind me for the MDO 2 program, I won it by FIVE MINUTES!  Shortly after visiting with the campees, I retired to my car until Bray rescued me where he then proceeded to sleep out in the parking lot until I rescued him by which time I could no longer sleep (meaning I got about 3 1/2 hrs of sleep).  Would I get in?  Would they wait list one kid who would just totally miss out on school next year (I exaggerate I know - but I'm slightly inclined that way....)?  NO.  After handing out numbers at 7 am the registrar went back to see who would get in & upon her return announced we were IN - ALL THREE!!!  Insert Happy (albeit tired) Dance Here. 

There were a million ways God worked to get the kids into this program where I feel so strongly they are supposed to be, but here are the highlights:  I looked into the program four days before open house (having no idea about the open house or the school or the camp out) and was told about the open house when I emailed, at the open house I fell in love with the school and felt sure this was where God wanted us, at the open house I learned there was a "we really don't recommend you camping out" policy which meant every Type A parent in the room would be camping out (news to me), I met a fellow triplet mom there that had helpful guidance, I had every sweet prayer friend praying that things fell into place, I got some inside intel, Bray and I just HAPPENED to go look at the school camp out site at the exact time we needed to so that we would beat the other camper by FIVE minutes, and I could go on and on.  I don't have concert tickets, nor the latest flat screen t.v., but boy do I have peace of mind about the fall. 

Do they let you camp out to get your kids into the actual Harvard?  And if so, will someone tell me when to start standing in line? 

Jeremiah 29 - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
Psalm 26 - For I have always been mindful of your unfailing love and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.
Isaiah 25 - LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.

1 comment:

  1. That's hysterical! It makes me think of that Modern Family episode!

    ReplyDelete