Thursday, March 3, 2011

God is Good

I am constantly amazed by people and their faith. 

It makes me stop and ask myself, "You think you have it hard?!?!"

I had a conversation with a triplet mom friend this past week.  I had failed to contact her lately and had no idea what had rocked her world.  Her husband was gone.  Left.  Absent.  No visits, no money, no nothing.  And the circumstances were heartbreaking.  During our conversation she said, "other than _____ being gone, things are good.  God has been good."  I had no words.  Of course our God is good.  I'm the first to say it.  But in the middle of THIS to be so calm and so confident in the faithfulness of our Lord.  Seven month old triplets, a looming house foreclosure, no job, and a terribly gone husband and her words were of God's provision for her during this time.  And I complain if Bray leaves for the weekend to go to the ranch?!?!  I have a faithful devoted husband who loves his family and is an incredible provider - why on Earth am I whining?  Last time I checked, self indulgence is not a fruit of the Spirit. 

I worry about my child's cough while my friend battles her child's cancer.  I doubt how to handle a job situation when a family member has lost a job.  I bemoan a long distance commute to see family when a dear person in my life has lost both parents. 

Five times in Matthew, Jesus calls people out for little faith:

Chp 6: If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’

Chp 8: The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”  He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

Chp 14:  But when he [Peter] saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”  Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

Chp 16: Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?"

Chp 17:  Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

God is Good.  Regardless of the season.  He is good.  I recently heard a bible study lesson from James 5 - how the farmer waits for the autumn and spring rains.  In between those rains it's dry.  You don't see the rains from the heavens.  But God is still there, underground, working His miracles on those crops.  Whether you "feel" it today or not, God is there.  Working.  Being Good. 

This is not to discount your struggle.  Whatever it is, I know that it is real and it is hard.  But He is good.  He is faithful.  Remember it in the rain and in the drought. 

Psalm 27: I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

2 Chronicles 6: Now, my God, may your eyes be open and your ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. “Now arise, LORD God, and come to your resting place, you and the ark of your might. May your priests, LORD God, be clothed with salvation, may your faithful people rejoice in your goodness.
 
Psalm 116: Return to your rest, my soul, for the LORD has been good to you.

2 Peter 1: Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.  His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature...

No comments:

Post a Comment