Monday, March 28, 2011

Lifetime!

I've just returned from my Weight Watchers meeting where I was awarded Lifetime Member status!  I've been member of Weight Watchers three times since 2005 but this is the first time I've become a Lifetime Member.  I lost 25 pounds for my wedding, and then managed to gain nearly 40.  After failed fertility treatments, I rejoined in 2008 and had lost 15 pounds when I found out we were expecting triplets.  And now, almost six years later, and 18 months after having the babies, I've hit my goal and maintained it for six weeks (I'm actually a couple pounds under) enabling me to become a "lifer."  But the thing I love about this program is that when you hit this goal, it doesn't mean you've FINISHED.  Instead, it means for the remainder of your lifetime you have a support system to help you maintain that goal. 

It's not the end, it's the beginning.  The beginning of viewing yourself differently, viewing how you eat, how you live, how you exercise, with new eyes.  And the thing that's so exciting to me is that the lifetime-me is the one who will teach my kids how to eat and exercise and live healthy active lifestyles.  And if they grow up knowing only that, then that's how they'll live.  In a land of people struggling with labels like obese, feeling defeated over the limitations they have when they shop for clothes, having heartache over the numbers they see when they have to get on a scale at the doctor's office, I so hope that this outlook will assist my children to by-pass some of that sadness. 

But the award, and the key I was given, and the applause from fellow strugglers in the room, helped me to think beyond my waistline.  What if there was a Faith Watchers and a Money Watchers and a Time Management Watchers?  What if I viewed all the big struggles I face from a Lifetime Member perspective?  I think so often we're working toward a certain end-goal, when in fact the focus should be on the process, the journey, the ride.  None of the clouds that linger over my head are really based on one particular problem.  The clouds are symptoms of underlying issues that I should be looking at with a fresh perspective.  My connection to God, deadlines missed, bills....they're all things that could be improved if I would behave from a healthier happier outlook where my goal is daily improvement (or maintenance) instead of being a firefighter in my own blazing life. 

The underlying philosophy which worked for me today in achieving my lifetime weight "goal" (WW provides, "information, knowledge, tools and motivation to help you make the decisions that are right for you about nutrition and exercise.") I could translate to become a "Lifetime Member" in all areas of my life. 

Information, knowledge, tools and motivation.   Where do you struggle?  What overshadows you today? Personally, I have several areas I'm re-energized to tackle.  It won't be easy.  It took me 18 weeks to get these last 16 pounds off.  I have a lot more than 16 pounds of dead weight in other areas of my life.  But I serve a big God.  He's brought me through bigger struggles before.  And I have a phenomenal husband.  A cheerleading mom.  A spectacular best friend.  And three little 18 month old walking talking motivations to get it done. 

Put on your hiking shoes, let's scale the next mountain. 

Isaiah 58 - The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.
2 Chronicles 16 - For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
Isaiah 35 - Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come..."
Psalm 121 - I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
Colossians 1 - For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm trying to email you something, and I just realized I only have your work email. If you have another email address send it to me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete