Tuesday, June 12, 2012

House Rules: Part 2, Me

As I wrote yesterday, I finally got the House Rules posted in our play room to help implement a consistent approach to rules and discipline.  I also wrote it was less than successful on its first day out.  I'm not sure what I expected.  They are two.

But what I didn't write about was what hit me as I wrote out the rules on the poster Saturday night:
1.  Be Kind!
2.  Listen.
3.  Be a Helper.
4.  Share.

What if I followed the rules that I gave my two year olds?  What if we all did?

I promised them a reward at the end of the day if they followed all four rules.  But I have to tell you, I can't remember the last time I finished a day when I followed all four.  I violate be kind all the time.  I'm rude to my husband because he happens to be the closest to my mood.  I speed up in front of people in traffic.  I'm critical.   I'm short-tempered with my kids.  If I did nothing OTHER than number 1 all week long, the people around me would be delighted.  And the fact that I trust God and follow Christ might be more evident.  As for listen - good grief!  I'm better at that than some, but one person I'm constantly not listening to is the one person I should listen to all the time:  GOD!  I have an idea of how I want things to go on any given day and sometimes I get a little worried He might have other plans.  So I just ignore what He has in store.  I fail to listen.  I'm much worse off because of it too.  I don't even have the energy to confess how I fail on numbers 3 and 4.  Needless to say, I'm not a very obedient toddler when it comes to applying the House Rules.

There are two simple verses I wrote out on the poster for the kids because it's never too soon for them to learn that these rules have a Biblical basis.  It's never to early to hear God's instructions for our lives.  I share them with you, in case you can't see them, and remind myself that I've got a lot of obeying to do before I'm a great role model of what the House Rules look like for my kids:

Ephesians 4:32, "Be ye kind, one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you."

Luke 6:31, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

No comments:

Post a Comment