Friday, December 16, 2011

Music Miniseries: Part 2, The Perspective

Yesterday I wrote about how music inspires me.  Today, I wanted to write about how music can change my perspective.  Or at the very least, remind me of what my original perspective was before I got so busy and forgot about all the good stuff in my life. 

The best, and more current example, is how music can remind me to slow down and appreciate these days with the kids.  They're learning new things every day.  They add words and skills and understanding on a moment to moment basis.  But I get so busy doing all the things on my lists that have to get done, that sometimes I forget to slow down and savor the little people they are now.  Before they aren't little people anymore. 

The concert I mentioned getting to attend this week, featured a song by Linda Eder called If I Could.  I hadn't heard it before but it resonated.  I'm a momma bear.  And boy do I want to protect my kids from every dangerous or hurtful thing possible.  But it's not possible (as Bray regularly reminds me).  The words are:
If I could
I'd protect you from the sadness in your eyes
Give you courage in a world of compromise
Yes, I would

If I could
I would teach you all the things I've never learned
And I'd help you cross the bridges that I've burned
Yes, I would

If I could
I would try to shield your innocence from time
But the part of life I gave you isn't mine
I'll watch you grow so I can let you go

If I could
I would help you make it through the hungry years
But I know that I can never cry your tears
But I would if I could

In a time and place where you don't wanna be
You don't have to walk along this road with me
My yesterday won't have to be your way

If I knew
I'd try to change the world I brought you to
Now there isn't much more that I can do
But I would if I could

Hearing that song Tuesday night immediately reminded me of another song.  When I was in high school, I attended the same church as Wayne Watson, a popular Christian musician at the time.  He sang a song about his two young boys which I couldn't appreciate at the time, though I sang it anyways, but now I can hear each line of each verse ringing crystal clearly in my head.  The songs may not seem connected - in my head they connected though and they led me to action.  If I Could changed my perspective - of course I should love my children with everything in me, but I can't protect them from the world.  And Watson's song, entitled Watercolor Ponies, reminded me that these days with three toddlers are speeding by and I have to appreciate every single moment and enjoy the mess and chaos because I will be heartbroken when it's gone.  I leave you with the words of Watercolor Ponies

There are watercolour ponies
On my refrigerator door
And the shape of something
I don't really recognize
Drawn by careful little fingers
And put proudly on display
A reminder to us all
Of how time flies

Seems an endless mound of laundry
And a stairway laced with toys
Gives a blow by blow
Reminder of the war

That we fight for their well-being
For their greater understanding
To impart a holy reverence
For the Lord

But, baby, what will we do
When it comes back to me an you?
They look a little less
Like little boys every day
Oh, the pleasure of watching
The children growing
Is mixed with a bitter cup
Of knowing the watercolour ponies
Will one day ride away

And the vision can get so narrow
As you view through your tiny world
And little victories can go by
With no applause
But in the greater evaluation
As they fly from your nest of love
May they mount up with wings
As eagles for His cause

No comments:

Post a Comment