Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Happy One Year Blog!

I'm doing a RARE departure from my Wordless Wednesdays because today marks the ONE YEAR anniversary of when I started blogging!  (Technically I opened this blog when I got pregnant but didn't use it until October 19, 2010.)  In honor of that anniversary, and in recognition of the fact that I didn't tell anyone I had a blog until months after I began writing, I worked over the past weeks to pull together a list of my five favorite blog posts.  Turns out, that's like asking a mother to pick her favorite child.  So I do have a top five list, as well as a honorable mention list, but the best part of this task was going back and reading 170 posts!  So much has happened in my life and the life of my family over the course of the past year.  The kids weren't even walking when I started writing and now I can't catch them.  I hope you enjoy reading some of these as much as I've enjoyed writing them. 


GINDI'S TOP FIVE FIRST YEAR BLOG POSTS

5.  Mommies Camp Out - I believe this was the first post I shared publicly.  It took a lot of nerve to share that I was writing beyond just my mom or two closest friends.  This post was a gift because I had friends say such kind words, so it has some special meaning to me and it still makes me laugh (FYI - my kids love this school that we camped out to get into). 

4.  Our Story: An Interlude - This story still means so much to me.  Largely because I believe these words every time I look into my children's faces and know they were designed by God for me.  It's taken on even more special meaning since my sweet college roommate who spoke these words over us just shared they are expecting their third child. 

3.  Banshees (and Thank You Grey's Anatomy) - The main reason this made the list is because this IS how I think (sadly).  But I also laugh hysterically every time I remember Will's laughing the poop right out of himself!

2.  They're Stupid - I remember writing this post more vividly than almost any other.  I can remember that exact scene in the show I describe and the relief that the boy felt when he was accepted and those hurtful labels were rebuked.  I'll read this post to my kids - everyone should know they are priceless. 

1.  The Animals Take Over The Zoo - This one you've most likely read as it was my most viewed post since I've been writing.  I had to include it as the most-read post and because it succinctly summarizes the chaos that is my life today.  I could write this exact post now given the antics going on over at Briar Hill Drive :) 

The five honorable mentions were actually HARDER to chose than the Top 5, but here they are:  London, Day One:  Fatigued - a must have because it was the first of my five installments about my trip across the pond; Screaming - this was one of my earliest posts and it combines both things I love to write about, my kids and my faith; Oops, I Hit It Again - this one mainly made it because I cracked up because I'd had the little lady saying "holla;"  Wisdom - probably my longest blog post ever, I chose this because the words still resonate with me as I make decisions; Second Year Love Letter - I also wrote a love letter to my husband on our five year wedding anniversary but when push came to shove the trio's love letter eeked past his for the honorable mention. 

And then, as one last summary note, I mean I did have 170 to go through, here's a post I love that I wrote about each one of the kids individually:  The Eldest - The Bed Bandit, The Little Lady - She Dances, and The Baby Boy - Kisses

So let me end by saying thank you.  Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read when you're not my mom (I pretty much expected she'd read all of my posts).  Thanks for dropping me a note to say you enjoyed something.  Thanks for letting me share.  Two songs spring to mind, and you couldn't get more diverse if you tried. 

In the words of Elphaba in Wicked:
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made from what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good

Or in the words of Truth on So Far, So Good:
We have come so far,
You have been so good,
on the road that we have traveled,
I’ve got to tell You Lord.
I look at where we are and see where I could have been,
I need to say again,
You’ve been so good,
Who would have guessed that we would come so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment